Each of us had to deal with long texts, books or articles. And there were different types of appendices. Some of them could be at the end of the book. Today we are going to talk about appendices – what is it, how to write them and for what purpose.
Our professional custom writing service was created to help students to cope with their tasks. We can do in time any writing work with the best quality. We were also students and understand that hard work and intelligence are not enough sometimes. Visit our website and you will find a lot of useful information about us, our services, prices, writers etc.
Appendix – What Is It
There are several definitions of the word “appendix”. Each of them depends on the scope where the word is used. This term can be used in music, anatomy or in the documents. We are interested only in the documentary scope. So, appendix is a part of the text, which is added to the last part of the book or article and includes the information that is about the main subject of the whole text. Appendix also can be a special list of books or other scientific works. It is usually in bibliography. Sometimes appendices help us quickly find the necessary information in the text. In this case they consist of a list of words with different pointers. We can also find appendixes in the addendum. It is different additions to the text by its author following its further publications.
Imagine, you are writing an essay or an article on a very popular and interesting topic. You have a lot of useful information to discuss, your head is full of thoughts. But it takes a lot of pages to write everything you want. And it will not be easy to read and understand such a great “poem”. And then appendix will help you. At the end you can gather the information which is useful but not as important as the main part is. It is better to present this information in tables, diagrams etc. Then it will be easier to grasp. But to write an appendix you should know some general rules.
How To Write An Appendix
When you are writing the appendix you should remember one thing – your text can be full without the information in appendix. Like in human body: while we have our appendix it’s okay, when it was cut - everything is still okay. The appendix cannot consist of the most important information. You must know the exact purpose of your text, than it will be easier to you to decide what information should be in the main body of your article, and what you can add at the end. You should not also forget about the readers and their expectations from your writing work.
The best way to write appendix includes using such things as:
Remember: all the information from the appendix should only be as addition to the whole document. And it is better to divide the additional information into different groups and include them into several appendices. You can call them by numbers or letters (f.e. Appendix #1, Appendix C etc.)
Some scientists recommend writing an introduction and conclusion to the appendices. Here you should explain why this information was added, its purpose etc. If you plan to write appendices, than it is better during the main part of the text to make special references (f.e. you can find the detail in Appendix 1 or the results of the research are in the Appendix C).
To help you to write appendices we decided to give you an algorithm. Following this algorithm your appendix will be correct and perfect.
1) Choose the correct title (all the letters of the world should be capital “APPENDIX”, the font and font size should be not like in the whole text). If you have more than one appendix don’t forget to numerate them and to start every new from another page. It will be easier for the reader to deal with all this information.
2) Correct the structure of your appendix. It means that if in your article you describe some interview from the very beginning, then in the appendix you must post the questions to this interview at the first page.
3) The application should be at the end of the document (after the list of literature). In the content you must specify about the appendix.
4) Number all the pages of the appendix. It is better to continue numbering from the last text page.
5) Check all the information in the appendix carefully. It must not be as a usual standard page with text. Be sure that all information is really connected with the main part. Your appendix cannot be long, remove all the extra sentences. Maybe it will be better to ask your friend or classmate to read your whole work and check the content.
6) Make sure that you have not made any typos or grammatical errors. Read the whole article once more and use some special computer programs. You know, sometimes our eyes are so tired of printing that we cannot notice a simple error, and there are also some cases when computer do not deemed something for the mistake. That’s why we advise you to check the text using these two ways. On our website you can find information which helps you to proofread essay online.
7) Check whether you have referred to appendices during the whole text.
As you can see, to write the correct appendix is not so difficult. You should know some general rules. It is very important to take into consideration not only you wishes as the author’s, but also the reader’s expectations as well. Then your appendix will be short, clear and very useful.