The power of a word, or human speech as the art of persuasion
The mysterious power of a word influences our lives. A person who has mastered the art of persuasion is able to control other people. In this essay about the art of persuasion we are going to tell you what the art of persuasion is, and what different methods can help you to persuade others.
Is it true that the power of a word is infinite? Is it true that it has no limits at all? Is there a line where the art of speech loses its power? Let’s think it over! Descartes once said: “I think, therefore I am”. However, a thought is incorporeal without speech… Man lives in society, where the main means of communication is speech. Human speech services not only to transfer information to each other. It is speech, communication psychology that transfers emotional state and mood of your interlocutor. Speech is also valuable, because with its help we define human intelligence. Socrates said the sacramental phrase: “Speak, so that I may see you”.
Human speech, its tones, voice make an impression of masculinity, sexuality. It can show kindness, will, sincerity and other personal qualities.
It is speech that encourages us to act!
The art of speech changes our life goals. And methods of persuasion in the speech allow creating new beliefs, and, therefore, change the whole life. Good speech, interaction psychology can influence even physiology: describe your companion in detail how you like to eat lemon, what lemon flavour you feel in your mouth and so on. You can see and evaluate at once the result of your experiment expressed of the listeners’ faces.
Public speech has much more importance than we could think. The history has so many examples, where the methods of persuasion and the art of speech decided the fate of strong armies and great states. One of such stories became a legend. This is the story from the “Brief history of the Romans”, according to which the Fultey’s speech made a thousand of warriors commit a suicide to avoid captivity.
The power of a word is unlimited. Sometimes a felicitous word was enough to stop the fled army, turn defeat into victory and save the country.
So what is the value of the words? Which words are close to our heart and mind? World famous scientist managed to define the priority and order of our different life values. Professional psychologists and domestic manipulators should take it into consideration. Human speech always contains these simple true values. Each of them has its own place:
1st position: “I”;
2nd position: “Name”;
3rd position: the word “Want” – and my wishes and interests;
4th position: “Good” – understanding and exaltation of your strengths;
5th position: “Sex” – we are pleased to be recognized by the opposite sex;
6th position: “I was – I am – I will be” – respect to the past, acceptance of the present and hope for the future;
7th position: “I have a right” – defending your rights and their declaration;
8th position: “I must” – understanding of your responsibilities and their performance.
Mastery of speech and, as a consequence, the art of persuasion is ability to use words and phrases that motivate to action. They should transfer positive intention, confidence, the need to act.
Creating a speech with the words filled with energy brings positive result to the communication. These words are given below. They are placed not in order of importance, but scattered about. Here they are: we, you, successful, save, service, help, quality, mother, money, new, popular, protection, true, results, unbeaten, prestige, easy, love, health, profitably, modern, appreciate, comfortable, thank you, pleasure, understand, trust, stimulation, good, necessary, fashionable, reputation, experienced, pride, interesting, original, saving, expert, expedient, bright.
Good speech, mysterious power of a word is created with the help of the above mentioned words. Such words can excite and stimulate your interlocutor. Other words express deep feelings, give guarantees and safety, promise joy and happiness. Others are present in any public speech. Many people know that oratorical speeches, the art of persuasion are based on the words that are very close to human values.
According to the specialists, our speech, communication psychology can have devastating impact as well. Human speech can have negative energy charge. Manipulative techniques of persuasion can se a sign of hypocrisy, insincerity and deceit. To such phrases belong: “you have to”, “this is just between us”, “it can not be doubted”, “agree with me”, “you must”, “as far as you know” and so on.
So, no matter what your aim is: good speech, the art of persuasion, oratorical speeches – all these are expression of the word power. Knowing how to use words, we become able to act for our own benefit and the benefit of others. Acting through a word, we learn how to control the life and fate. Remember that a word is alive and its influence depends on how you use it.
The art of persuasion as the base of success in business life
The strongest is not the one who has great knowledge, but the one who knows how to persuade. Knowing how to choose words, you can rule the world. The art of persuasion is a great science, but not all its secrets exist in the form of available for understanding and simple rules, which every successful businessman perfectly knows. Specialists give advice how to persuade people. Here are some methods of persuasion for you.
Methods of persuasion
1. Control over situation is impossible without a sober assessment of the situation. Evaluate the situation, people’s reaction, the possibility of influence of other people on your companion’s view. Remember that the result of your dialogue should be beneficial for both sides.
2. Mentally put yourself in the place of your interlocutor. Having felt and understood your opponent (his desires, motives and wishes), you will find more opportunities to persuade him.
3. The first and natural reaction of almost any person to pressure from other person is resistance. The stronger pressure of persuasion is, the more a person resists. You can eliminate your opponent’s “barrier” by gaining his sympathy. For example, you can make a joke on yourself, on the imperfection of your goods, and in such a way you can distract your opponent’s attention, because there is no sense to look for disadvantages if you have been already told about them. Another technique is abrupt change of tone, from official to simple, friendly, common to all mankind.
4. Avoid negative words and formulations. Instead of “If you buy our shampoo, the hair loss will stop”, say “Bring strength and health to your hair. Our new shampoo with amazing effect!” Instead of doubtful word “if”, use convincing “when”. Not “if we do…”, but “when we do…”.
5. Do not impose your opinion, let your opponent thinks independently, but try to direct him to “the right way”.
6. Think in advance the arguments you will use to persuade your opponent. You voice should be calm and confident without emotional colouring, do not rush. You should be and sound confident. Any doubts are easily caught by other person and you can lose the trust.
7. Eliminate from your vocabulary the words “maybe”, “might” or other similar expressions. Also get rid of the parasite words: “sort of”, “weeell”, “generally” and so on.
8. Emotions are the main mistake. The winner is always confident and calm, and confident, calm and quiet speech is much more convincing than passionate enthusiasm and shout.
9. Do not let the person look aside. Even when you are in an awkward situation caused by sudden question, always stay confident and keep eye contact with your opponent.
10. Learn gesture language. It will help you to avoid mistakes and understand your opponent better.
11. Always use facts; they are the best weapon of persuasion. For example, “there is official statistics”, “from personal experience I know that…” and so on. As facts use witnesses, dates and numbers, video and photo, opinions of famous people.
12. Emphasize the “secondary gain”. For example, “Cooperation with us is not only low prices for you, but also great prospects”. First of all, you should focus on the needs and characteristics of the audience or the opponent. Put emphasis according to them.
13. Do not allow neglect and arrogance toward the interlocutor. He should feel equal with you, even if in real life you would never deal with such a person.
14. Always begin your conversation with something that can make you closer with your opponent. In such a way person stops being opponent and turns into your ally. Even if there are disagreements, it would be difficult to say you “no”.
15. Follow the demonstration of mutual benefit principle. Mutual benefit is the key to success.
So, now you know not only what the art of persuasion is, but also what persuasion methods and techniques exist. I hope this essay on the art of persuasion was useful for you. Visit Livecustomwriting.com where you can find a great number of essays on various topics. Also this essay writing service provides you with opportunity to order essay online. Do not miss you chance!