Books Or Computers At School: Choose Wisely
You know, that school programs and classes can be different in different cities and countries. But there are some problems and disputes which are common very popular every year in most countries. Today we are going to talk about one of these problematic topics.
What is better to use at school: paper textbooks or tablets? Our custom research paper service tried to find out if modern student needs a paper textbook. Hope this topic will be useful for reading and you can order any kind of writing work on our custom writing service. Visit our website and read all the information about service, prices and professional team.
Do you remember your heavy bag full of textbooks? Every day we had to bring to school lessons four or five textbooks. And, of course, for a child it was really very difficult. Nowadays we can see that something had changed. A lot of countries decided to use different handed out materials like tables or schemes, instead of textbooks.
Today we have a digital revolution and those countries where everybody can use the internet appeared a new idea how to organize the school process. Textbooks are not popular now, because all the education materials are available directly in the classroom on a tablet or laptop.
At first we are going to tell you about the decisions in the different countries and later we will sum up all the pros and cons of this question.
In Great Britain pupils after each lesson received the printed educational materials. This system was available for many years. But in 2014 the government decided to return to the textbook. They explained their decision by the fact that English pupils have worth results then pupils from the East countries.
Nowadays Great Britain is going to change the printed textbooks into the electronic version. The digital resources make usual books almost obsolete. In Cambridge university people made the special research. And the results are very interesting – the highest level of education is in countries, which continue to use the paper textbooks.
South Korea and Finland
South Korea and Finland has a high level of education. According to the international ranking of PISA, these two countries occupy the 5th and 6th place in the general list. The results were based on the test of 15-year-olds in different countries.
In South Korea and Finland almost every pupil has at least one textbook. For comparison, in some African countries pupils have one textbook for ten or twelve persons.
The traditional paper textbooks are beneficial, because the teachers don’t spent their time on printing different materials for each person and for each lesson. They just follow the curriculum. And there are still some countries in the world, where the Internet is expensive and arduous. So the printed textbooks are the most affordable. But from the other side, in poor countries parents cannot pay even for one textbook.
Laptops instead of textbooks
Netbooks, laptops, IPads are very popular among modern students. Almost every pupil has one of these things. And the great idea came – to use these pocket computers with the educational aim. But the schools should be ready for this step: every school must have free Wi-Fi, teachers should have a perfect knowledge in the computer’s sphere and the interactive lessons should become number one. There should be a special educational websites for each school, where all the materials for the lessons are available. People have different points of view on this question.
Nowadays such projects are in Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Great Britain, Portugal, and even in Australia. A great amount of students received their own laptops for studying. Such laptops include the electronic version of all textbooks, further reading, dictionaries and homework tasks. It will be possible to communicate with the teacher via video.
Teachers will have a methodological development, a set of videos, schemes for lessons. And parents will have access to an electronic diary and electronic register.
At first sight this system of education is modern, easier and simple. But as usual it has also pros and cons. And it is not as quickly and as easy as it seems to provide the electronic system of education. It is something more then to download the book from the Internet. It takes a long time to create the special websites and to fill them with the special content and to make available for each student. But step by step everything is moving in this direction.
Pros of computers at school
1) A great relief for the back. The average pupil’s bag weighs of 8 kg. It is clear that to carry such weights is harmful to the child's health. The doctors say that it causes the developing of such disease as kyphosis.
2) The studying process is more interesting. For example, if students study the biography of the writer, the teacher can use different small tours of that city or village where he/she was born. It is also interesting to use some cutting videos for learning novels or short stories which were filmed.
3) The more useful information will be available for everybody. Staying at school and using a free internet, students will be able to find all the information they need for the classes.
4) It is easy to control the results of education. Parents can at any time to look through the electronic register and to examine all the marks of their son or daughter.
5) It is easy to save time. Teachers wont spent their time on checking all the tests. The computer will done everything itself.
6) Parents don’t spend money on additional literature.
Cons of computers at school
1) Students forget about paper books. Today most of the time students spent with their laptops, IPads and mobile phones. And they stop reading books. So, when their education will be connecting only with the gadgets, it won’t be necessary to use usual books.
2) The often use of gadgets are harmful for the eyesight. It is very difficult for our eyes all the day to spend in front the computer monitor.
3) Computers for everybody are very expensive. Often children are careful and careless. With frequent use they may drop and break the tablets. And some parents cannot to buy them a new one.
As you can notice, we have more pros then cons. Every innovation is a long and difficult process but people get used to everything. Just remember how sensory boards appeared and school chalk gave way to color markers. As for me, in the 21st century we have a great digital revolution and it is normal to use tablets during the school lessons. Remember, that our writing service is able to write your essay for you.