Gay Marriage Essay: Should Gay Marriage be Legalized
The question of gay marriage legalization has long been debated about. Gay marriage essays generally explore the reasons why same-sex marriage should be legalized or otherwise banned. Against gay marriage essay generally provides arguments against the legalization of same-sex marriage, while pro gay marriage essay explains why it is important to ensure the equality of rights of all people including homosexuals. Essays on gay marriage are generally written by college students as well as experts in this field who are trying to discover whether it would be justified to legalize same-sex marriage. Should gay marriage be legal essay presented below is based on the existing research in this sphere. The following paper represents a persuasive essay on gay marriage as an attempt to justify the point of view that gay marriage has more negative sides rather than benefits. The current argumentative essay on gay marriage will investigate the top arguments in favor and against same-sex marriage providing a well-grounded conclusion that will summarize the author’s point of view.
Gay marriage argumentative essay presented below will start from exploring the reasons why gay marriage legalization should be considered justified. The following gay marriage argument essay will then provide counter arguments against gay marriage legalization in order to discuss the question from both perspectives. The aim of the current gay marriage persuasive essay is to reveal why the rights of homosexuals should not be protected and why it is harmful for the social wellbeing to legalize marriage of homosexual couples. The gay marriage essay below is an attempt to persuade the public that legalization of same-sex marriage will do more harm than good and therefore homosexuals should not be given such rights. The following essay on gay marriage will also make it clear that the countries where same-sex marriage has been legalized are currently suffering from unexpected consequences of gay marriage legalization that negatively affect the welfare of the society. We will start from discussing the pros of gay marriage legalization to learn why so many people consider it important to give more rights to homosexual couples.
- The most widely known advantage of same-sex marriage is the fact that it allows people to be equal and do what they want without the interventions from the state or society that would otherwise tell them what they should do. Any kind of marriage is a union of two people who have a wish to live together and build a family. Some people consider that there is no clear reason why homosexual couples cannot have the same rights as heterosexual ones. Gay marriage is supposed to bring to an end the injustice towards particular social groups and minorities. In this sense, same-sex marriage facilitates social equality.
- Another argument in favor of gay marriage presupposes that same-sex marriage will allow homosexual couples to have an officially accepted relationship which will be indicated in all formal documents. This will give homosexual couples a right for joint ownership of property. Besides, one’s gay partner would be able to become a citizen of the native country of his/her spouse. Furthermore, the gay spouse can apply to legal authorities in case she suffers from physical abuse on behalf of her partner. Therefore, this means that gay marriage provides gay couples with a number of rights that might be of much help if need arises.
- Besides, some people consider it a benefit that in case of gay marriage legalization, same-sex couples will have a right to adopt children. Adoption is a priority of only married couples. Previously, even if two homosexual partners had a long-lasting relationship for twenty years or so, they were deprived of a right to adopt a child. If same-sex marriage is legalized, they will be able to use a privilege of child adoption.
Apart from obvious advantages of gay marriage legalization, there are also certain drawbacks of this procedure. Let us discuss the negative sides of same-sex marriage legalization.
- One of the most perceptible disadvantages of gay marriage is the fact that the homosexual couple is unable to have their own children, although they have an opportunity to use help of surrogate mothers as well as some other methods. However, gay couples are deprived of an opportunity to have a biological child. Upbringing of children is an inseparable part of the sacred union of marriage in all cultures and across all nations. Marriage would definitely seem incomplete if a couple is unable to have children. Therefore, even if gay marriage is legalized, such an institution would not help to realize the goal of every person in terms of giving birth to a child. For this reason, some people claim that there is no use in gay marriage legalization as gay unions do not facilitate the development and prosperity of humanity being quite useless rather than beneficial.
- Another argument against gay marriage is that every child should have a father and a mother, and gay marriage deprives children of such an opportunity. Although homosexual couples are now allowed to adopt children in the countries where gay marriage has been legalized, the child they adopt would be deprived of either a mother or a father and this is a violation of natural law. This also proves that gay marriage legalization will not lead to any positive outcomes but rather cause harm to the wellbeing of children adopted by gay couples.
- It is a fact that gay marriage is still not legalized all over the globe. Although gay marriage has been legalized in many American states, there are some countries that do not acknowledge gay marriage and the rights of homosexuals. When homosexual couples travel to these particular countries after getting married, they will not be acknowledged as a married couple, which will deprive them of the right to apply to legal authorities for help if need arises.
Considering the arguments stated above, it needs to be noted that gay marriage legalization has both negative and positive sides. Therefore, the experts in this field should take into account all the implications of gay marriage legalization in order to come to a well-grounded conclusion. Today, many people are quite sure that gay marriage should not in any way be legalized as it is a direct violation of natural law and the will of God, and this assumption is quite reasonable.