Animal Rights Essay: Do Animals Have Rights?
The debate over animal rights still continues and the experts have not yet come up with a reasonable conclusion. Essays on animal rights usually deal with the question of whether it is justified to protect animals and their habitat from the harm caused by humans. Do animals have rights essay presented below is an attempt to make it clear whether animals should be protected against violence and cruelty of people. The following animal rights essay provides arguments in favor and against the issue of animal rights protection. The proponents of animal rights claim that animals have the same rights as humans and should therefore be protected from cruel treatment on behalf of humans. The current paper is not an against animal rights essay. It rather presents the material on both sides of the question without taking only one position.
The argumentative essay on animal rights presented below will try to persuade the public that the question of animal rights should be solved in the nearest future due to the fact that currently more and more animals are becoming extinct, so the urgency of the problem requires immediate actions to be taken. The following persuasive essay on animal rights will attempt to clarify whether animals have rights and should be protected by humans and whether it is reasonable for people to use animals for testing and experiments. Just like all animal rights essays, the current essay on animal rights will refer to the opinion of the experts in the relevant field in order to provide well-grounded arguments both in favor and against animal right protection. It is a fact that nowadays animals are used for testing to find out whether certain medications and cosmetics are safe for humans. This controversial topic provokes much debate and a lot of factors are involved in finding a solution to the problem. Let us discuss a few pros and cons of animal rights protection.
- It is possible to save the lives of animals if people stop making experiments on non-humans. Furthermore, when goods are tested on animals, it is likely that the animals will get hurt. Some products may not cause direct damage to animals, but may negatively affect their social lives and habits, which will cause an irreparable damage to them that might last till the end of their life. It is true that many products tested on animals are not approved for being used by humans. Therefore, it is unreasonable to test medications and cosmetics on animals, because humans are different from the non-human beings, and the results of such testing can be unreliable.
- The deaths of animals do not bring any benefit to humans. Each time an animal suffers or dies there is absolutely no benefit for humans. If the ecosystem is harmed, the humanity will have to pay for it, because environment is a delicate system which when disturbed can result in a chain of harmful effects for the humanity. With that said, people should not mess around with the environment and animals in particular, since nature is of great value for the humans and should be protected at all costs.
- Speaking about animal testing as a direct violation of animal rights, it should be noted that testing does not always result in trustworthy outcomes. Although some experiments lead to the advancement of medical field, it might not be true for all situations. As stated above, some of the tested animals are not like humans and are kept under constant stress. Therefore, the stressful environment and horrible conditions can result in certain modifications of the testing outcomes. The tests on animals can be substituted by something else, but the humanity does not bother thinking of alternative solutions.
- Furthermore, it is true that animal testing violates the rights of animals leading to irreversible consequences for the environment. It is suggested that humanity should avoid testing products on animals not only because it is against the animal rights, but also because it is a very expensive procedure, as animals require shelter, care and food, and all this adds to the general costs of experiments on animals.
- The arguments against animal protection include the assumption that animals can help in research and can be used for the sake of medical advancement. This mainly refers to animal testing. It is a fact that testing is harmful for the animals, but there are people who think that the human life is worth more than animal life. In any case, testing of various medications on animals greatly contributes to the development of research on new drugs and vaccines. This allows improving the field of medicine and save numerous human lives. Most drugs that are tested on animals can prevent or help to treat such severe conditions as HIV, diabetes and cancer. And the drugs used for the treatment of these conditions are all tested on animals before they can be safely used by humans.
- Another argument against animal right protection is the reduced risks for people at the expense of harm caused to animals. If something goes wrong during animal testing, it will not cause any harm to humans. That is why animal experimentation helps to safe numerous human lives. Moreover, the exposure of people to potentially dangerous substances is also reduced and as such, numerous diseases can be avoided.
- Furthermore, the use of animals for experimentation helps to ensure the safety of testing. Although in the modern conditions there are numerous substances that are supposed to bring benefit to humans, not all of them are good for people. If drugs were tested on humans, it would be immoral and not many people would give consent to such experiments because of the potential dangers associated with various substances. Therefore, animal testing can be considered a safe alternative that allows people to understand the extent of safety of certain drugs that can be used for treating various conditions. Drugs in particular pose a serious threat to people so that the tests conducted on non-humans allow the scientists to understand what effects certain drugs might have on the human body.